This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This is the best Empanada Dipping Sauce! It’s so delicious and will enhance your homemade or frozen empanadas.
We love this tomato salsa-style dip when eating Mexican food. It’s perfect when paired with taquitos, flautas, or used as an empanada dipping sauce.
This sauce is loosely inspired by the traditional Colombian sauce called hogao. Its smokey flavor comes from oven-roasted tomatoes.
Whether you are making homemade or store-bought empanadas, this sauce is the perfect complement.
This sauce requires a few pantry staples and features tomatoes that are roasted until smokey in flavor.
- Tomatoes: Choose two large tomatoes.
- Garlic: We use three full cloves that are peeled.
- Salt: Needed to enhance the flavors.
- Lime juice: A splash of lime juice will brighten the sauce.
- Cilantro: Cilantro adds a fresh flavor.
How to Make Empanada Dipping Sauce
This sauce comes together quickly and easily!
- Roast tomatoes and garlic. Toss tomatoes and garlic with olive oil and roast until browned.
- Blend. Combine the tomatoes, garlic, salt, lime juice, and cilantro in a blender or food processor then blend until smooth.
- Serve. Serve with warm empanadas.
Keep the sauce stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
You can also freeze the sauce for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.